Cedar City Star Search
Welcome to Cedar City Star Search!
In its inaugural year, Cedar City Star Search is an incredible opportunity for our community to showcase all types of talent, including singing, dancing, spoken word, solo musicians and bands, and, of course, let's not forget comedians, magicians and other variety acts! If you have an awesome talent that you want to share with Cedar City— now is your time to shine!
- Mar 18 | Dress Rehearsal | (Heritage Theater)
- Mar 19 | Cedar City Star Search Competition | 7 pm (Heritage Theater)
Here is tonight's program!
MAYOR WILSON EDWARDS
Maile Wilson Edwards was born and raised in Cedar City, Utah. She was elected as Cedar City’s first female mayor and the youngest mayor in November 2013. She was re-elected to her second term in November 2017. Her grandfather, Loren Whetten, served two terms as mayor of Cedar City. In 2018, Mayor Wilson Edwards married her sweetheart, Dr. Jayson Edwards. In addition to her duties as Mayor, she is an attorney with Kirton McConkie Law Firm, working in their southern Utah offices in Cedar City and St. George. Mrs. Wilson Edwards has long been involved in community service. At a very early age, she participated in everything from community parades, the Utah Summer Games, Utah Shakespeare Festival, pageants, and other community volunteer efforts. She knows that Cedar City has incredible talent and is excited to be a judge for Star Search!
EDUCATION DIRECTOR, UTAH SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL
Michael Bahr is the Education Director of the Utah Shakespeare Festival. He directs the Shakespeare-in-the-Schools Tour which travels to five states and serves 40,000 students with professional Shakespearean productions. He manages the Shakespeare Competition, an event that hosts 3,200+ students from 120 schools throughout Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Idaho, and California. Michael loves community arts and theatre. He is the husband of Kristin Michie Bahr. Together they are strong advocates for the Arts in Iron County. They have 4 children, 10 grandchildren and together, Kris and Michael have volunteered, painted sets, and sewn costumes. They share their passion for books, film, theatre and life with their children. They live in Enoch, Utah where one of their greatest joys is opening their home to teenagers for Oscar parties, water fights and intelligent conversation.
LISA CRETSINGER - OWNER OF GROOVACIOUS RECORDS
I own independent record store Groovacious Records. We opened in 1992. This is my thirty-second year selling music. My husband Tim and I moved our store from Oregon to Cedar City in 2000. We hosted an open mic night twice a week for eight years and helped nurture the talents of all the local musicians. Many musicians and bands from all of the world have performed in our store on our Groove Stage. Together with our friends we created Groovefest Music Festival free to the public held in Main Street Park and other venues. It ran for fifteen years.
Music has always been a part of my life. My father was a musician. Because of early exposure and constant listening to all types of music everyday nearly all day at my record store and through live shows I think I experience music in a unique way and am grateful to be able to offer my assistance to this event.
Good luck everyone.
APPLICATIONS CLOSED UNTIL NEXT YEAR
If you have any questions please contact Brad Abrams at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please read all the rules and guidelines prior to submitting.
1. Applications for Cedar City Star Search (CCSS) must be completed in their entirety and submitted to Cedar City Office by Feb 14, 2021. Late applications will not be accepted. Applicants will be notified by Mon, Feb 22 if they were selected to compete as a finalist at the Cedar City Star search on March 19, 2021.
2. Cedar City Star Search is open to all family-friendly acts, including singing, dancing, juggling, magic, playing an instrument, dramatic recitation, spoken word, we want to see what unique talents you have.
3. Applicants must reside in Iron County, Utah. If applicants are under 18, they will be required to fill out a parental consent form with the application.
4. Nonresidents may participate in CCSS as long as they are in a band or group where a majority of the members reside in Iron County.
5. All acts MUST submit an online audition to perform at Cedar City Star Search. A panel of judges from the Cedar City Star Search Committee will determine which online submissions qualify to participate in the event, scheduled for March 19, 2021, at the Heritage Theater. If needed, an in-person audition may be requested.
6. In addition to the Cedar City Star Search Performance date, all acts will be required to show up for a brief soundcheck and dress rehearsal on March 18, 2021. Scheduling of the dress rehearsal time slots will occur when finalists are announced on February 22nd.
7. All performances are monitored for content and may not contain inappropriate lyrics, references, gestures or profanity.
8. All performance attire and/or costumes must be deemed appropriate by the panel of judges and the event director.
9. Auditions are submitted as a video via a publicly viewable YouTube link.
- Instructions for posting a video to YouTube
- If unable to submit via YouTube, a USB Drive (with act title and performers names) will be accepted at City Hall Office (10 N. Main Street)
- No longer than 5 minutes
- Clear Audio and Video
- Must have the name(s) of the performer(s) and the act's title in the description.
10. Cedar City Star Search auditions and performances will be no longer than 5 minutes.
11. Each applicant can have a single entry into Cedar City Star Search.
12. All decisions by the judges and the director of CCSS are final.
- 4 -12
- 13 -18
- Groups and Bands
The top 3 from each age division will compete against each other on March 19th at the Heritage Theater in front of a live audience, where a panel of local celebrity judges will choose a winner from each age division. The audience will also have a chance to choose their favorite.
Awards will be given to the winner of each category as well as an overall audience choice award.